Friday, March 14, 2014

CHOC And Me

I'm still very well connected to the homeless shelter.

I'm currently in a program called CHOC Connect. It is a program of volunteers who help the residents get back into the community.


As a matter of fact I had dinner with my 2 volunteers yesterday.

I was talking to them about how when I first was at the shelter it was like I was in shock about being homeless. While at the shelter it felt like being in a cocoon - a nice warm cocoon where I didn't have to worry about so much. It took a good 5 months for me to start planning a list of goals that I wanted to accomplish.

I think the main purpose of the shelter was to help people find a place to live whether it be just a room or a whole apartment. I can't believe that I actually have an apartment of my own (as long as I pay the rent on time).

Someone at the shelter told me that a married couple that used to live in the shelter got thrown out of their apartment and now they are living on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for reading my blog. I hope that you have enjoyed reading it. Please remember that all comments will be moderated before they are placed within the blog.